Monday, November 08, 2004

Clowns at the Circus, and Monkeys at the Zoo...

So far I have discovered five primary means of transportation in the city:

1. Personal Vehicle - I clearly don't fall in this category; although there are friends who have loaned me vehicles on occasion. There are several pluses to driving yourself. The first is that it is like being in a real live video game. The other day a guy and I were talking about how much it is like a real live Need for Speed. Another plus is speed. There is clearly no quicker way to get anywhere in the city. The greatest drawback is not being able to be with the nationals while you travel.

2. Contract Taxi - These are small, old, rickety, sedans. You pay the driver an agreed upon amount to get anywhere you need to get. This has the plus of speed listed above, but is not as quick as driving yourself. There are a few drawbacks. It is more expensive than any other form of public transit. There is little consistency in pricing. You can have a guess on what it "should" cost, but it will definitely cost more for "the white guy" and who knows the current mood of the driver. Another down fall is that it is also similar to a game. It reminds me of Fear Factor; sometimes I feel like Jason or my parents riding with me in my car. (They tend to get a bit freaked out!) I've learned that sometimes the best remedy is just close your eyes and hold on. At least that way you don't have to go through all the "I am about to die stuff."

3. Minibus Taxi - This is what all the nationals would call a taxi. Approximately 11 plus the two workers fit in this vehicle. (Plus they often add a few more just to make some money.) The clear pluses are the chance to be with nationals and the price. Today I got all the way across the city for the equivalency of about 50 cents. It would have cost 4 or 5 bucks in a contract. (I know that doesn't sound like much, but trust me it is!) The largest downfalls are time, heat, and smell. They rarely go anywhere unless the vehicle is through. People get out all along the laid out route. If four or five get out, the rest of us sit and wait for it to fill back up. It can easily turn a 15-minute contract ride into an hour affair. The people are a bit scared of wind. They think it will make them sick. Therefore all the windows are closed which makes the ride both hot and stinky. Another flaw has to do with the routes; because they only run direct routes if you want to get somewhere that isn't on one you get close then walk. (This is good for me obviously…it helps with the stairs!) All that said, if I have the time this is one of my favorite ways to get around.

4. Bus - I have never been on one. Remember the VW Bug at a circus? About 25 clowns come out. Well the bus hold 50ish give/forget take about 50. When these things unload it is almost funny. They are standing in the aisle, riding in laps, you name it. Outside of the city some people and animals are even on top of the buses. The pluses are this mode of transport is extremely cheap. When a bus stops and unloads others run to board it. For me the negatives still outweigh the positives. The time/heat/smell thing; multiply that by about 100, literally.

5. Bus 11 - I am a pretty big fan of this one. Hills make it a bit tough so I don't go overboard, but I love to walk in the city. Get it, bus 11? (Look down at your feet…11.) The pluses: lots of people, see all the city has to offer, get exercise, among others. The downfalls: clearly it takes longer, exercise, and the people. The people can be tough sometimes. I love them, dearly. They are typically so friendly and fun and hospitable. But sometimes the poverty begins to become too much. It tugs at the heart and frustrates you all at the same time. Another issue is the monkey at the zoo issue. Today I sat on a wall by the street waiting for a friend (Come to find out I actually wasn't supposed to be sitting there which may have added to the stares.) And I seriously felt like a zoo exhibit. They would just stare at me. Some would throw out the English they know. It always sounds something like: "You, you!" or "You, how are you!" or "You, where are you go!" I got to the point I wanted to start making monkey faces at them. It is interesting what we do to help make others feel uncomfortable when we feel that way. Yesterday I told a friend I was going to start laughing at nationals speaking English. They laugh at me speaking their language…even when I don't screw it up (which I must admit is rare.)

It's fun! It's tough sometimes! I love it! Come visit! We'll try all but the bus!