I have been given four different words for blister here. I’m not sure if that is because they don’t know what to call it or they don’t tell people when they get them. Maybe they don’t get them. Many run around barefooted; many were plastic shoes with no socks. There is absolutely no way they are comfortable. Perhaps their feet have grown so tough blisters are a thing of the past.
I haven’t been asking out of my typical randomness that can be talking about a movie one minute to a blister the next to a Colt game the next to theology the next. I don’t even know how I run all these things together. Perhaps it is because I don’t know enough about any of them to complete a conversation.
Sorry back to the point. I have three big blisters on my feet. Actually one is nearly gone and the other was more of a wrinkle in the skin. However the third is still going strong. I got to play football (soccer) last Saturday. It had been a long time. It was my first time to play since I’ve been here and I hadn’t played for a while in the States because of ankle issues.
A friend (white guy) and I went to play for a couple hours with a couple nationals. We split into three teams of five. That was good for me, it meant I would get to rest once in a while. It didn’t work that way. Although I didn’t have the best player on my team, we somehow ended up the best team. We didn’t lose a game until it was after time for me to go. We played straight for an hour and a half or two hours. I was whooped by the end.
The blisters on my feet hurt. My legs were sore (gotta remember to stretch in the future). And I was flat exhausted. But I had so much fun.
Every couple weeks I’ll play basketball with some crackers. We get together at a high school gym for internationals and play for a couple hours. I play basketball just for the chance to play some and for the community opportunities. But when I walked on the soccer field I felt something in my bones. It just felt good to slip on a pair of spikes and step onto the dirt (no grass on the field). Soon after beginning I was reminded I’m a lot older and fatter than I was when I played ball, but I love that game. I love the exercise for my body and my mind as I piece together runs and passes like pieces of a puzzle.
What a game? I had memories of the old days on the field; I created new memories as I tripped a few times, stole the ball a few times, and almost scored a time or two. It all ended with a challenge to return as I let the ball slip through my legs playing keeper to let an opponent touch in the final goal. Maybe next time we’ll win them all. Hopefully at least I won’t blow the final goal.











|