Saturday, April 23, 2005

Ouch...

I got a chance to laugh at myself yesterday. I do so quite often I must admit, but yesterday was a good one. I found a little book store in a shopping center of sorts. I was trying to find a way to kill sometime so I went in to look. In the states I would frequent places like Barnes and Noble just to see what was new and to admire the covers. Here I am bored. Bookstores are tough here. If there is some order to them I have never figured it out. At home I can buy a book telling me how to use Microsoft Word...1997. So there isn't much new.

After rummaging around for a while I bought a book I've wanted to read for a while. Since being here I have read one in entirety and finished half of another. I bought the first Harry Potter. I've heard they were good so thought maybe I should join the club and see if I like them.

So on the way out I was still noticing the books in the window. I saw some videos and then what I thought was a box set of the Karate Kid movies on DVD. I leaned closer to see and whack!

Depth perception is an interesting thing. If you are focusing on something in the distance you might not even notice something up close. I looked like a bird or a fly trying to get back through a window. I rammed my head right into the glass.

As any American (maybe any person) would do I quickly did the looking around to see who was watching. The two Kenyans on the other side of the window were cracking up, as was the Kenyan man standing behind me. We all four had a good laugh as I rubbed my head. Come to find out it was just another video tape. So all of that embarrassment for nothing.