Friday, July 14, 2006

A Weekend Away...

Weeks are flying by.  It is hard to believe they are going as quickly as they are.  Last weekend we had a fun trip to the countryside.  Fifteen of us went.  I took two teams of volunteers, two colleagues and a national friend.  The trip started a bit rough.  We were a little worried about one of the vehicles because of a strange noise it had been making.  We stopped to fill up just outside of town.  As we left the gas station on of the cars stopped running.  It sputtered to a stop and quit in the middle of the road.  

We gathered together and pushed it off the street.  We kept trying to start it with no luck.  I couldn’t figure out what the problem was…then it hit me.  “Did we put gas or diesel in this car?”  This vehicle happens to be the only one we have that runs on gasoline.  I got out the receipt and either it was written wrong or we got diesel.  

Now I wasn’t driving this car but I know how difficult a process it is.  At the station there are two pumps one says “Gasoil” the other says “Regular.”  A majority of vehicles in the country are diesel, so which is regular?  Well we goofed up.  I called another colleague to ask what to do in the situation.  He told me we would have to drain the tank and start again.  We found another gas station that helped us through the process.  We were now quite a bit behind schedule…good we were living in a place where that is not only accepted, but expected.

We finally got there and then all the hotels were full.  Finally on our fifth attempt we found a place to stay.  It was exactly what we had hoped for.  There are very distinct calibers of hotels in this country.  This was exactly “middle of the road” and about $10 per night.  The only flaw, lots of mosquitoes, but they had nets so it was fine.

It really was a great weekend.  I’ve put some pics on the side.  Enjoy!