Friday, July 07, 2006

Good Days and Bad...

Been a while, I know.  

So much has been going on.  My bosses stayed gone for almost six weeks.  I was swamped with trying to handle my work and some of theirs.  But I really enjoyed it.  I was able to really lead out on some things.  I was probably most satisfied with my work during those weeks than any other time since I’ve been here.  

We currently have 21 volunteers here working with us.  Two will leave next week.  Five more come just afterwards.  Then by the first week of August they are all gone.  So much great work is happening.  They are pouring their lives into the nationals here.  Great relationships are being built and nurtured.  The volunteers are also a lot of fun.  It has been very encouraging having them around.  It will be hard to see them all go.

Speaking of going…I’ve got right about two months left here.  It is crazy.  I’m filled with mixed emotions.  I’m ready to go and find out what is next in life.  But it is also tough to leave this place.  I love this place and these people.  I am knee deep in so much work.  It is hard to leave it behind.  I know I have to trust the king to handle all that remains.  “He” is able!  

It was just a week ago although it seems like much longer.  I had a day that will go down as a least favorite.  I was in the car with 7 volunteers.  We were going up the hill to a mountain that overlooks the city.  In route, we had some trouble.  A lot of people were on the street as always.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw two children pop out from in front of a parked car in front of me.  I jerked the wheel quickly to the left.  They never even saw me.

Less than a second later I heard a thud.  “Did we just hit something?” was the question asked from someone with me.  “Yeah, two kids,” I responded.  I was wrong.  It was only one.  He had not seen me and walked right into the side of my moving van.  The police came and we took the boy to see a doctor.  The doctor told me he was fine and gave me an antibiotic to fight infection.  He had a big not above his left eye, but no other problems.  His sister was with him and thankfully was fine.  

It wasn’t one of my favorite days to say the least.  I do however rejoice that everyone was okay!

Gotta go to the grocery.  My houseworker is trying to make me some lasagna and cookies.  She needs some stuff.